Woolman Teen Leadership Camp (TLC) is an exciting program for teens 15-16 years old who backpack, play, cook, and move-up into leadership roles working with each other and working with Wombat Camp (campers aged 9-14). We are seeking to hire a TLC Director to lead the full 6-week program. The TLC Director will work with the TLC Assistant Director to plan, organize, and lead activities, trips, workshops, and projects, will train and support the 2-3 TLC counselors, and will work with, and be supported by, the Wombat Camp Director.
The job begins on January 21, 2019 as 5 hours/week off-site work - working through phone calls with Wombat Camp Director to begin planning the logistics and scheduling of both camps. Full-time work on site begins June 9th, 2019 for training and preparation. Camp is in session for six weeks, and the job ends on August 10th, after a few days of debriefing and cleanup. As this is an especially important leadership position, you will be in constant contact with Wombat Camp Director and Assistant Wombat Camp Director in the months preceding camp.
Located in the beautiful Sierra Nevada foothills near the scenic Yuba River and Tahoe National Forest, Camp Woolman embodies values of community, respect for nature, peace, and simple fun. Kids come to learn, play, make friends, and live in an accepting community where they can truly be themselves. In-camp activities include cooperative games, sports, arts and crafts, nature, swimming, gardening, singing, campfires, and whatever else our staff can come up with. We run two camps – Wombat Camp (ages 9-14) and Teen Leadership Camp (ages 15-16). Each week of Wombat Camp includes a 3-day overnight backpacking trip at nearby rivers, mountains and lakes. Teen Leadership Camp is divided into 3 sessions that range from beginner to advanced backpacking, and includes backpacking trips anywhere from 3 to 10 days long. When both camps are on site they share meals and will participate in many activities together, often partially-led and facilitated by Teen Leadership campers.
TLC Camp Director will oversee and coordinate all on-camp activities as well as backpacking trips for campers aged 15-16. The 6 weeks of camp programming will be divided into 3 sessions – Beginner Backpacking, Intermediate Backpacking, and Advanced Backpacking. TLC Director will work with Wombat Camp director throughout the spring to schedule other activities that will be offered in conjunction with backpacking throughout the sessions - such as art, sports, cooking, gardening, biking, and leading younger campers in games and activities. This role requires the planning of multiple 3-day to 10-day backpacking trips that are appropriate for the session (the Advanced Backpacking session will only be open to participants that are experienced backpackers). Backpacking trips often take place on sections of the Pacific Crest Trail, in Desolation Wilderness, and Tahoe Wilderness. TLC Director will work with the Wilderness and Operations Manager to secure proper permits, maintain gear, and order food for trail. TLC Director and TLC Assistant director will aid TLC counselors in proper wilderness leadership techniques and alternate going on trail with the counselors and campers. The Director that is not on trail will remain at basecamp to coordinate re-supplies or be available for emergency evacuations.
Wombat Camp director will assist TLC Director in hiring TLC Assistant Director and TLC counselors, who must all be 21 years old, have significant backpacking experience, a WFR or WFA certification, and a willingness to work with the TLC Directors to nourish and grow the program. TLC Director will be a manger and mentor to the TLC counselors. Finally, this role involves frequent supervision of the TLC campers, especially when TLC counselors are on break. This person will have living quarters separate from the campers, but will frequently oversee the TLC campers in the TLC house on campus (Fern House – usually supervised by TLC counselors) at night and occasionally over-night when TLC counselors have days or nights off.
The TLC Director will be in frequent contact with TLC Assistant Director in the weeks preceding camp – reviewing and finalizing camp schedule and logistics. These two roles will have June 9 – June 13 on site together to finalize logistics before the TLC counselors arrive for training on June 14. All TLC staff will participate in certain aspects of Wombat Camp staff training from June 14-June 22, as well as have small trainings and meetings of their own – facilitated by the TLC Director and Assistant Director.
- Applicants must be at least 21. Younger applicants may consider a Wombat Camp counselor position
- Experience leading multi-day backpacking trips, preferably at least 8 days long
- Prior work with teen programming, preferably in a backcountry setting
- Organizational abilities to create food orders, day-to-day schedules, and plan multi-day backpacking trips
- Strong risk management skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and experience mentoring or managing others.
- Current Wilderness First Responder certification, or willingness to obtain one before the start of camp
- Current Class-B Driver's License for a 15-passenger van, or willingness to obtain one before the start of camp
- Lifeguard Certificate strongly desired, but not required
- A passion for social justice and ability to run a program that is safe and welcoming to participants of any background
- Participate in phone meetings with Wombat Camp Director every other week throughout the spring
- Work with Wombat Camp Director in hiring TLC Assistant Director and TLC counselors
- Help Wombat Camp Director outreach and register TLC campers, and communicate with parents whenever needed.
- Work with TLC Assistant Director in the 2 weeks before camp to finalize logistics and scheduling of programming
- Plan activities and manage the day-to-day schedule of teens while at camp. This requires consistent communication with the Wombat Camp Director.
- Plan anywhere from 3 to 10 day backpacking trips for teens and their TLC counselors
- Alternate with TLC Assistant Director going on trail and assisting TLC counselors, and staying on site to be available for re-supply or emergency evacuations
- Train, support and give feedback to the TLC counselors.
- Work with Wilderness and Operations Manager to ensure proper use and distribution of backpacking food and gear
- Work with Wilderness and Operations Manager to create and follow wilderness safety protocols
- Participate and help facilitate Staff Meetings with other staff from both camps.
- Collaborate with Woolman Camp administrators so both camp engines run well.
- Act as emergency contact support while camp is in session.
- Participate in the spiritual, emotional, and physical growth of all our beautiful young people.
Who Are We Seeking?
You must be a thorough planner, able to anticipate potential problems and prepare for them. You need also be a creative problems solver, ready to aid in the inevitable surprises that will come up! A willingness to work with the established framework of this program and also bring some creative ideas for how to help it grow is a given. You must be familiar with age-appropriate expectations for teenagers and also be excited to work with them and get to know each one as an individual. Finally, you must possess a willingness to work hard, play hard, steal quiet moments for yourself within long days and gain satisfaction through behind-the-scenes efforts that result in positive experiences for others.
This program is for people who love to work and love to play, who want to learn as well as to teach, who are self-motivated, community-minded, reliable, and who take their responsibilities seriously. A positive attitude and healthy work-ethic are a must; if you sing while washing dishes, laugh when splattered with mud in the garden, or tell jokes while hiking in the rain, this might be the perfect place for you. A background in Quakerism is not necessary, but an interest in Quaker values or a willingness to learn about it is desirable. At Camp Woolman, we strive to create a community where diversity of life experiences, learning styles, and social identities (including but not limited to religion, class, race, ethnicity, gender and gender identity, sexual orientation, and ability) are honored and celebrated. In applying, please describe the way your school, work, volunteer, or life experience has prepared you to work with diverse communities of people, including any aspects of your own background or identity that you believe would enrich the Camp Woolman.
The pay for TLC Director is $1500 for 100 hours of work January - June, and $2488.50 for full-time on site work June 9th - Aug. 10th. Room and Board is covered June 9th - Aug. 10th as an additional compensation and is independent of your monetary wage.
New to Camp Woolman: Click here for Application
Camp Woolman Returner: Click here for Application
FOR QUESTIONS, CONTACT:
Sonja Feinberg, Wombat Camp Director