Job Opening: Camp Director
Reporting to the Executive Director, the purpose of the Camp Director position is to operate all aspects of Woolman Camps. These include summer camps which run for 6 weeks in the summer, and Alumni Camps and Family Camps which run for 4 weeks in the fall. Woolman Camps is under the auspices of the College Park Friends Educational Association (CPFEA) aka Woolman, held at the Sierra Friends Center property.
The Mission of the camp is:
Through simple living and joyous adventure in an accepting community, Woolman Camps inspire individuals to value nature, value themselves, and value others in order to build a more peaceful and just world. Campers are nurtured and challenged by engaging in outdoor adventures, artistic exploration, and play in the Sierra Foothills. Together we create a camp that supports self-discovery, unity with nature, and a community in the spirit of Friends. Adult camps include service work that further enrich the experience and give back to Woolman the benefits of campers’ work.
The Camp Director’s job includes management, administrative and supervisory responsibility for both Summer Day Camp (ages 6-14) and overnight camps for Alumni and Family Camps. The Camp Director ultimately oversees and has responsibility for all camp activities, managing the Camp budget, hiring staff members, developing training programs, maintaining all camp records, arranging for all camp supporting resources and more. The Camp Director implements marketing plans to recruit campers with an emphasis on diversity. Some fundraising is expected in collaboration with other CPFEA staff to fund camperships.
- Develop the 4-6 week camp program. Organize camp structure, e.g., units.
- Develop the weeklong Fall adult and family camp programs (4 sessions). The Alumni and Family Camps have volunteers who assist in the organization of camps, that would be managed by the Camp Director.
- Develop hiring plan, job descriptions, advertising for candidates and hiring all staff including assistant directors, counselors, kitchen staff, janitorial and others.
- Recruit volunteers for adult/family camps.
- Set up online camp registration and payment service
- Develop and implement a marketing plan to both gain camp sign-ups and solicit campership donations. Includes online, direct mail, in person and purchased advertising.
- Communicate regularly with camper families to ensure they are prepared for camp with necessary forms completed, health clearances, and understand the supplies they must provide. Address parent and camper concerns as needed prior to, during and after camp.
- Develop a plan for site usage including overnight sleeping, bathroom, eating and instructional facilities. This will include renting tents and bathroom facilities to supplement current available resources.
- In collaboration with kitchen staff, develop meal plans and purchasing food.
- Make all necessary arrangements for wilderness field trips, hikes, river visits, and backpacking.
- Ensure the infirmary is appropriately provisioned. Provide training for staff for health and safety and emergency aid. Review and update emergency plans.
- Provision camp staff with supplies for a fun, creating and enriching camp program. Obtain and manage an inventory of permanent and loaner gear.
- Obtain permits, and address all legal and liability issues
- 2 years experience in youth development
- 2 years experience in camps administration
- Experience in adventure/wilderness education and/or experiential education
- Proven leadership of staff
- High level organization and planning skills
- Fiscal management
- Communication skills
- First aid/CPR training certification
- Experience in youth Quaker institutions
- Experience in alternative discipline systems e.g nonviolent communication
- Knowledge of geographical area
- Lifeguard training and certification
This is an exempt position. Monthly salary is $3,500-$4,000 depending on experience.
Housing on site is potentially available.
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org before April 25, 2021.