WE WILL REBUILD…BETTER!

RECOVERY IS HAPPENING

We are already seeing signs of new growth in the forest and it is such a relief.  To think how a few blades of grass along the creek amid the ash can give you a sense of renewal — it is such a wonder. The family of turkeys that live in the orchard just outside the Office reappeared this week. I counted up the chicks and they are all there!

Woolman is learning more about the scope of the work we have ahead of us. New drone photos loaded in the Gallery show the extent of the fire damage from the air. We’ve begun a salvage operation for scarred trees. It is a big challenge to control erosion and debris from clogging creeks and culverts. We have to get this job done before the rains which will come soon, we hope! There will be Volunteer Days to help with the forest restoration and trail work in the coming weeks. These will be posted in Events.  Drop us a message here if you want to help.

Thanks to so many of you who sent photos of buildings that were lost. We’ve sent them to the insurance adjuster. The Woolman board is planning how we can rebuild the campus for programs that meet the current moment. This is the silver lining to this tragic event.

Many people have offered to help with site clean-up. Unfortunately, the authorities at the County Environmental Health Department are not having any of this. There is hazardous waste in the ash and it needs to be removed by toxic clean-up professionals.

We are having a Gathering to Grieve, on September 20, outdoors on the soccer field. Our local Nisenan tribe be there, and also the fire fighters and first responders. Because of Covid we are restricting the group size to 60. If you are interested in coming you must RSVP to abbyc@woolman.org to get a number. If you can’t attend but want to participate you can send your blessings, prayers, wishes, or poems as Letters to the Land to sophieb@woolman.org.  She will collect them in a vessel to be buried at the spring, which is the site of an historic Nisenan village.

Marty

Sept. 12, 2020

CAMPUS IS CLOSED

We’ve had many requests from people who care deeply about SFC to come to the campus.  Unfortunately, the campus is closed at the moment as we work to get the critical utility infrastructure up and running so tenants can come back with full services.  Also, PG&E and CalFire crews are still in mop-up mode, removing many damaged trees that are endangering roads, powerlines, trails and other buildings.  This is a big operation.  There is debris on the land that could hurt people walking around near the burn area.  Please don’t come just yet.

We are scheduling a “Gathering to Grieve” on the one-month anniversary of the fire.  We are coordinating with the local Nisenan tribe to join us in a traditional cry and blessing.  This will be open to all, with Covid safeguards in place.  For those who can’t come to the site, we will make arrangements for you to send your blessings.  Stay tuned for more info in the next week.

Marty

Aug. 30, 2020

FROM THE ASHES — A NEW BEGINNNING

Someone asked me today what my first impression was when I arrived at SFC last Friday morning, with a police escort. I reflected that I only saw the “macro” view — not the details.  My eyes scanned the campus horizon in all directions looking for something familiar that I could hold on to, to anchor me.  Today, a group of Friends and I walked the campus again, taking photos of smaller things. I saw an antique Singer Sewing Machine (the pedal kind), a gumball machine, old bedsprings, chicken feeders, rock outcroppings that had been covered in brush, stonework that held up bridges and culverts, wood burning stoves. That old Storage Barn has a lot of stories to tell!

Ten days later, we are on the ground, assessing what we lost and what we have. The fire has truly changed everything for Woolman. While we grieve for the land, for the losses that our tenants have endured, and for our buildings, we also see opportunity.  We announced in July that we needed to sell the land to repay debt and perform $1m in facilities upgrades. Covid shut down most sources of income such as summer camp, and pushed us to the brink. Now with the Jones Fire, we are fortunate to have a good insurance policy that will cover of the cost of rebuilding. We have a chance to rethink the campus and how it can purposely serve mission-driven programs. It is very possible that we can refinance debt and maintain ownership of the land with a new campus.

In the coming weeks we will move from recovery to rebuilding. While insurance will help replace physical losses, it only goes so far.  Without program fees we will struggle to pay staff and operating costs (like insurance premiums!) as we rebuild. We’ve launched an appeal for donations to carry Woolman through to a new beginning. We hope to rally support from alumni, camper families, and Quaker community throughout the process — as volunteers and as donors.

Thank you for holding us in the light.  It is working.

Marty

Aug. 27,  3:30pm

DEEPEST GRATITUDE

There has been a tsunami of support from people all over the planet whose lives were touched by Woolman. We are bathed in love — like warm sunlight streaming through a blue sky of fresh mountain air.  We are so grateful.

Chris and I went to the Incident Command briefing on Friday morning to find the crew in charge of mop-up at SFC. We walked through a sea of orange jumpsuits with “PRISONER”  printed their backs — mostly worn by people of color holding axes and shovels. They looked bedraggled but ready. I smiled and mouthed “thank you,” but they were not allowed to engage with me. We talked to the captain in charge of Woolman operations, Jack Kane, a tall, broad-shouldered man in his well-pressed navy blue CalFire uniform. He told us of the heroic efforts of fire fighters keeping flames off our buildings while allowing the fire to burn through the campus from one end to the other. He personally held the hose that protected A-Frame# 12 and Chris’ Redwood House. We fought the urge to embrace him in tears (Covid concerns) as he described the scope of their efforts almost nonchalantly.  He arranged for an escort and we finally got on campus to tour the damage. Photos are posted in the GALLERY.

The fire entered SFC at the north end, by the oxidation ponds and Firewood Barn. It was about 300 yards wide and moved south across the west side of the campus burning everything from the soccer field to Dorothy and Doug’s house on Woolman Lane (D&D’s home was fully defended and is untouched by the fire). It was turned away from the main buildings and the east side by the green, grassy interior campus and soccer field. The orchard was also untouched.

The photos are difficult to show what was lost because, the buildings are gone — nothing but mounds of ash. There are no landmarks to orient yourself.  The burnt structures include:

• Madrone Hall (old dormitory that was remodeled as an environmental science center)
  • Firewood barn
  • Tree Frog trailer
  • 6 of 8 cabins
  • West side bath house and showers
  • Cedar House (residence)
  • All the garden buildings
  • Animal barn
  • Storage barn

Our well and a main sewer line collapsed. We don’t have potable water or a waste water system as the moment. This is the focus of our emergency recover plan now.

At Mel’s Pond the forest is burned about 150 yards on either side. You can see clear through to the main campus now.  My estimate is that about 150 acres of forest burned.  All the understory burned which is healthy for the forest — blackberry, buckbrush, toyon, scotch broom, small trees.  I saw the tallest trees were scarred but the tops were green, and will be healthier as a result. We shall comprehend how the forest will regenerate when we consult with a forester.

We are lucky that the main buildings were untouched: Dining Hall, Meetinghouse, Office, Ranch House, Stone House, Fern House, Ceramic Studio and Kiln, all 12 A-Frames, Redwood House, Arbor House and the 3 homes in upper campus: A-Frame in the Pines, Hedrick House and Cypress House, plus the maintenance shop and Quonset hut — all saved.

We are focused this week on recovery of basic services and getting people back into their homes: 15 residents were evacuated.  We will continue to connect with our community and keep you informed about next steps.

We ask for your support — financially or as volunteers, to rebuild Woolman!  We see a future full of opportunities, with your help.  Please go to the DONATE page if you can help us financially.  If you want to volunteer, go to the CONTACTS page and send a message.

Please stay safe.  We are not out of this fire season yet.

Marty

August 23, 11 am

WE ARE RESILIENCE!

We are hoping to hear shortly that we can get back on campus. Chris Benfield (our caretaker) was able to get in with an escort this morning.  He has confirmed that our losses include one residence, Madrone Hall, all but two west-side cabins, all barns and garden sheds.  A lot of the underbrush and blackberry burned up — which is good. The remaining campus is in relatively good condition mainly due to the heroic efforts of the fire crews who were protecting Woolman as the firestorm blew through. The fire burned up to the edge of the buildings in most cases, and without their intervention we would have lost so much more.

I also want to acknowledge Chris and Cletus Hainsley (groundskeeper) for excellently managing the property for fire safety.  Their hard work — year around, to maintain the campus to meet all defensive fire standards also made all the difference.  THANK YOU!

Our hearts are breaking for our two tenants who lost everything. In the residence lived a family of three. Madrone Hall was the home of Sierra Streams Institute. We will do everything we can to help them sort things out as they recover from this devastating loss.

We will keep posting updates as we learn more.  Our gratitude to the many people who have sent condolences and love. We exist because of you.

Marty — Aug. 20, Noon

WE ARE WOOLMAN STRONG!

I was contacted by a TV news crew who gained access to the campus to film.  They showed me the video and it is clear we lost the Cedar House, Farm buildings (not the barn), Madrone Hall, West Site Bath House and a few Cabins, Tree Frog (uninhabited trailer).  I was told the main SFC buildings were unharmed.  I know the Ranch House and Animal Barn is standing.  The fire seems to have blown a path through campus from the Wood Shed area across the Garden.  I am hopeful the big green meadow stopped or slowed it.

Marty — Aug. 19,  2 pm

WE WILL REBUILD…BETTER!

Sierra Friends Center has suffered great loss.  We are still trying to determine the depth.  Land heals.  We will heal.  We will draw upon the strength of the Woolman community…you will not let us go away!

Marty — Aug. 18, 7:41 pm

PRAY FOR WOOLMAN

Sadly, the Jones Fire has impacted Woolman.  The fire is still a developing situation.  We see maps that show utter devastation.  The maps are not precise enough yet to draw conclusions.  What we know so far is that the firestorm blew through campus while strike teams and two water tankers worked to save buildings.  We have a team on the ground from our insurance company assessing the situation.  I am awaiting their report.  I will post updates here.

Marty Coleman-Hunt — Aug. 18, 2:30 pm

38 Comments

1. Tracy Porter August 18, 2020 at 2:51 pm

Be safe. I will pray for no loss if life.

2. sophie brinker August 18, 2020 at 2:51 pm

thank you marty. sending so much love ❤️💔❤️

3. Tamar Shaddeau August 18, 2020 at 2:58 pm

So sorry. No words. just numb.

4. Meg August 18, 2020 at 3:12 pm

Thank you for the update. An arial photo at 2:15 this afternooon showed buildings standing and green soccer field. Thank you Firefighters for protecting what can be saved. Smoke damage is still a real problem, even if buildings remain intact.

5. Keith Robert Runyan August 18, 2020 at 5:52 pm

Grief and love. My heart is there.

6. Susan Murphy August 18, 2020 at 7:13 pm

My heart is breaking for you. I have been jogging through that lovely land for 30 years. Would be happy to help with anything you need. I’m off of Jones bar also so under evacuation still. Sending prayers. ❤️

7. Kate Connell August 18, 2020 at 9:11 pm

Thanks Marty- can I please be added to a email list for updates?
    Yours in peace,
    Kate

8. Eric Sabelman August 18, 2020 at 10:32 pm

As word spreads through N California, Friends from College Park Quarterly Meeting are holding Sierra Friends Center and all its people in the Light. We will rely on you for first-hand information (news reports are somewhat contradictory). Our other retreat center, Ben Lomond Quaker Center, is also at risk from lightning fires in the Santa Cruz mountains. If there is anything concrete we can do, please let us know. Barbara Babin in Santa Rosa is clerk and Janet Leslie in Chico is the assistant clerk of CPQM; Janet can send email to all the Quaker meetings in the Quarter. I am a member of the Ministry Committee of Pacific Yearly Meeting.

9. Susan Wilson August 19, 2020 at 12:38 am

Thank you for this, Eric. Boulder Creeks has evacuated, we are being told to prepare to evacuate.

10. Mark Runyan August 19, 2020 at 7:21 am

Thanks for the update Marty. Meg if you could share the aerial photo that would be greatly appreciated. I am clear that the Cedar House, West Side Bathhouse and the Garden have burned but unclear on what else was damaged.

11. Susan Cherry August 19, 2020 at 7:36 am

I am hopeful that such a spiritual place will spring back to green. My heart and mind hold Woolman in love.

• Donna Fry August 19, 2020 at 7:51 pm

Brian and our family’s hearts are broken along with the wider Woolman community. We are here to help when way opens.

12. Debra Weistar August 19, 2020 at 7:41 am

Marty – you have been in my thoughts both because Woolman was threatened and also because Cement Hill in evacuation zone. Thank you for this update — I only saw Channel 10 news snippet that Woolman had burned. Stay safe and thank you for your work protecting this treasure. Missing you! Debra

13. Barbara Palmerton August 19, 2020 at 9:42 am

Love to you all from Arcata (Humboldt Friends). We are holding you all in the light.

14. Maggie Lickter August 19, 2020 at 10:24 am

Deeply saddened by this news and already prepared to help with replanting native pollinators, donate money, and do whatever is needed for a barn raising (or center raising)!

15. Jerry Fox August 19, 2020 at 11:37 am

Please add me to your email list. I attended retreats in the 1980’s when I was a United Methodist pastor in Auburn. I’ve since moved back. The center holds a special place for me. Holding you all in the Light.

16. Leesa Greenlee August 19, 2020 at 11:38 am

Sedge and I are praying for this special place and homes for the folks who live there. Healing and Hope to you all…

17. Maya Martin August 19, 2020 at 11:55 am

It is sad to hear that this happened to Woolman and to all the areas of Nevada County. Woolman and the community is my second home. I will keep everyone at Woolman and Woolman land and Nevada County in my prayers. Please keep us posted to see how things are going and if there’s any way we can help out. Many blessings to the Woolman community, the land, and those who are doing their best to help out. May God put peace in everyone’s hearts and protect everyone. Sending lots of Love and hugs to our Woolman community and land and all the animals and nature at Woolman. <3

18. Krista Fotou August 19, 2020 at 12:17 pm

Holding the land and the community in the light.

19. Dianne Marshall August 19, 2020 at 12:33 pm

InterFaith Nevada County (INC) is listening for the needs of the Sierra Friends Center. Please add me to this mailing list. I represent Grass Valley Friends Meeting with INC. Thank you.

20. Rusi Gustafson August 19, 2020 at 12:59 pm

I grew up visiting both Woolman and the Quaker Center many many times. They’re each deep touchstones for my soul! This news is so hard to absorb. Change is constant though, and there is no direction in which to move except forward.

21. Toni Eiselt August 19, 2020 at 1:37 pm

It pains me to hear of your loss. It gladdens my heart to hear you say, “we will rebuild!”.
    I hope I can help in some way. Was a neighbor of yours for many years and really appreciated your facility and your community outreach and care.

22. Jessica Castleberry Nicholson August 19, 2020 at 2:41 pm

Sending love & remembering fondly the time I spent living in Madrone Hall as the Environmental Science teacher 2007-2009. My heart is breaking for everyone who lost homes. I hope I can help from afar when the time comes. ♥️

23. Gail Coonen August 19, 2020 at 5:10 pm

When I heard the news I burst into tears. I was part of the first graduating class from Woolman and my family was involved in the beginning. I am happy the barn is still standing and I hope the dining hall and other structures. What a lose, but, we will come back stronger. You are in my heart,
    Gail Paget Coonen

24. Brylie Christopher Oxley August 19, 2020 at 11:44 pm

What about the Quaker Meetinghouse? Was it damaged?

25. Susanne Ratcliffe Wilson August 19, 2020 at 11:56 pm

Here in Homer, Alaska, we just got this news. Very sad. My son and I attended many Quarterly Meetings at Woolman and one New Year’s Gathering. Sending Love and Light and hoping Way forward will be clear.

26. Beth Dubois August 20, 2020 at 6:24 am

My daughter was a Woolman camper and my husband and I volunteered in the kitchen. We love this land. I’m so sad to hear about the fire coming through. I saw a newspaper article that Amy Cooke and her husband had evacuated. Do you have any news about their house?

27. Angelina Conti August 20, 2020 at 6:41 am

I am sending big love and gratitude for my time at Woolman as a teacher (2009-2011), and standing by to be helpful and supportive when it’s time to rebuild.

28. Nancy (Malich) Garcia '73 August 20, 2020 at 1:04 pm

I saw that Amy Cooke and her husband lost their house. Their daughter set up a fundraiser: https://www.gofundme.com/f/amy-amp-chamba-cooke-home-loss-fund?utm_source=customer&utm_campaign=p_cp+share-sheet&utm_medium=copy_link

29. Ani Hildebrandt August 20, 2020 at 1:21 pm

So glad some of the main buildings are okay! I know those spaces, the meeting house and dinning hall especially, have been the space for some many meaningful memories. I am grateful that land is resilient and able to bounce back! I hope to help out and spread the word too so Woolman has the funds to rebuild even stronger!

30. Anita Hemphill McCormick August 20, 2020 at 3:05 pm

I’m deeply sorry to learn of the damage. Marty, can you let me know when it’s possible to visit the site? Your report is hugely helpful, and Don and I, the Co-Clerks of Grass Valley Meeting, would like to come and see how things stand so we can talk with Meeting on Sunday.

31. Christa Williams August 20, 2020 at 5:57 pm

Holding the Sierra Friends Center in the light.

32. Ann Cary Stinson August 20, 2020 at 7:46 pm

Such a special place; holding you all, and the land, in the LIght, in prayer.

33. Peter West Nutting August 24, 2020 at 5:26 am

This leaves me with a deep sadness. The photos are devastating. There is some solace that the orchard I planted 50 years and the main campus buildings survived and that the ponderosa pines may have survived. I hope and pray that the larger Woolman/SFC community will come together to save and rebuild this sacred place that has meant so much to so many of us.

34. Peter West Nutting August 24, 2020 at 5:28 am

Correction: The third sentence should read: “There is some solace that the orchard I planted 50 years ago…”

35. Doug and Linda Milhous August 25, 2020 at 7:47 am

Marty, so very sorry to hear this. Doug is beyond up set. Hugs to all. Very happy for what was saved. The fire fighters. Wow. GreT work. Very sad to hear about Dorthy’s new home. We will stay in touch. Millie and Doug Milhous

36. Dora Drake August 27, 2020 at 3:22 pm

I also feel deep gratitude that so much of Woolman was saved–sacred ground which saved my OWN life many decades ago. I also feel so fortunate to be a part of this loving community. Such mixed feeling due to the loss of Amy Cooke’s and others’ homes. I live in the forest myself, and have endured four fires right next to my home, and been under mandatory evacuation that many times. Deeply gratified to read about the “tsunami of support” and “bathed in love” that SFC/Woolman is receiving. <3 <3 <3

37. James Bostwick September 2, 2020 at 9:53 am