Camp Woolman Counselor
Being a counselor at Woolman's Summer Camp or Teen Leadership Camp means living, working, growing, and learning as part of the Woolman community. Counselors are fully integrated into the life, work, and play of the Woolman campers, and your job is to enrich their experience through deep connection and joyful adventure. Counselors live with five campers in a same-gender cabin situated in a mixed-gender village. They facilitate learning and growth of children into a greater awareness of themselves and others, lead games and songs, manage behavior, teach activities, adorn yourself in costumes and personify characters of your own creation, and participate in the glorious daily life of a Quaker community. Being a counselor at camp is fun, challenging and rewarding work.
The Woolman Camps (Summer Camp and Teen Leadership Camp) are small programs serving 9-16 year-olds for 6 weeks of programming in the summer. Located in the beautiful Sierra Nevada foothills near the scenic Yuba River and Tahoe National Forest, Woolman camps embody values of community, respect for nature, peace, and simple fun. Kids come to learn, play, make friends, and live-in an accepting community where they can truly be themselves. In-camp activities include cooperative games, sports, arts, crafts, nature, music, singing, campfires, as well as place-based educational workshops. Each week also includes an overnight backpacking and camping trip to nearby rivers, mountains and farms.
The job begins on June 15th, 2017 with 10 days of training and preparation. If this conflicts with your school's end date, please let us know, and we will try to work with you! Camp is in session for six weeks, and the job ends on August 11th, after a few days of debriefing and cleanup.
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Current certification in Wilderness First Aid, Wilderness First Responder or Life-Guarding by the start date of camp
- Wilderness experience, and comfort leading backpacking trips.
- Prior experience working with young people.
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Strong interest in and passion for fostering, teaching and living the values of peace, justice and sustainability.
- Team-leadership of a 2 to 3 night backpacking, service or art trip once a week.
- Stewardship of the safety and well-being of every camper at camp.
- Direct group management of up to 5 campers, with whom you will share a cabin.
- Availability to help with any question, problem, conflict or emergency that may arise.
- Leadership and planning of games, art projects, nature walks, and other activities during the day at camp.
- Participation in all aspects of life at camp: meals, chores, games, activities, and meetings.
- Presence during free time to help campers be safe and have fun.
- Participate in the spiritual, emotional, and physical growth of all our beautiful young people.
Who Are We Seeking?
This program is for people who love to work and love to play, who want to learn as well as to teach, who are self-motivated, community-minded (not just an appreciation of community, a LOVE of it), reliable, and who take their responsibilities seriously. A positive attitude and healthy work-ethic are a must! If you sing while washing dishes, laugh when splattered with mud in the garden, or tell jokes while hiking in the blazing sun, this might be the perfect place for you! A background in Quakerism is not necessary, but an interest in Quaker values, willingness to learn about them and a compatibility at the level of soul nature is desirable. At Camp Woolman, we strive to create a community where diversity of life experiences, learning styles, and social identities (including but not limited to religion, class, race, ethnicity, gender and gender identity, sexual orientation, and ability) are honored and celebrated. In applying, please describe the way your school, work, volunteer, or life experience has prepared you to work with diverse communities of people, including any aspects of your own background or identity that you believe would enrich Camp Woolman.
The salary for counselors is $1350.00 for the summer. This covers a span of 8 weeks between June 15th and ending August 11th. Room & Board is covered as an additional compensation and is independent of your monetary wage.